Monday, March 15, 2010

Alumni Highlight...

Undergrad Alumni Highlight :

After receiving his BFA in Ceramics from GSU, Andrew Sloan Jackson has been teaching in Fulton County public schools for the past two years and now plans to pursue his MFA in Ceramics at Ohio University this Fall 2010. In 2008, he was an artist-in-residence at Roswell Clay West, a ceramics studio and gallery in Roswell, GA & is now collaborating with fellow GSU alum Kelcy Chase Folsom on establishing Ladyboy Presents, focusing on issues of gender and sexuality through installation, performance, and craft materials.

Artist Statement :

I am interested in evoking an alternative to the "human" world as it presently exists. Rather than a world in which the natural is subjugated to the human hand, through my work I wish to evoke an alternative environment where man and nature come together with less conflict in a harmonious symbiosis, whether by design or natural evolution. By mimicking organic textures and shapes in settings of varying complexity, I hope to suggest in my work the geometry of nature, in particular biology and genetics. I often create the same forms in different scales, mediums, or contexts suggestive of lineage or evolution. In most works, I strive to keep the installation free of overt references or judgments allowing the viewer to interpret the meaning of the work in light of their own personal experience. I also want the work to retain its looseness, as I am drawn to simple, direct processes and materials.

My current work in progress and in my portfolio exemplifies my interest in and exploration of ceramic and mixed media to explore ecology, organic processes and the concept of transhumanism. I am especially drawn to exploring the possibilities of a transhuman future where technology and biology blend to change the bodies we now inhabit in ways we can only begin to imagine. Through visual media I intend to explore the questions and issues raised when we are able to manipulate the form and abilities of our bodies. I wonder whether humanity will react with horror or accept these changes as the logical next step of evolution.


No comments:

Post a Comment